Wednesday, April 16, 2008

An Old Book Escapes A Dreadful Fate


When I was at Parksville (Rathtrevor Beach) I saw a rather ubiquitous mass-produced fish-shaped clay platter in a local store. The platter was not inspiring (especially since I am an advocate of handcrafted items sold at a fair price by and for for local artisans- don't get me started) but the shape of the fish was inspiring. It reminded me of this Sunset Book (1959) that I found in an antique store several years ago. I originally purchased it to use for collages and altered books but could never bring myself to "cannibalise" it, especially since it described aspects of my own part of the world that have changed radically since the time the book was published. I'm so glad to have the book now as I'm working on interpreting west coast fish in a semi-realistic way for a series of polymer clay fishing boat friezes.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to get comments!