Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Making Progress!

kelp before....
In August I untangled, sorted and dried a raft of slippery kelp on a Pender Island Beach. I brought it home and it has rested ever since in a salt crusted pile in the basement. My ever patient family have ignored it. I've read numerous basketry books, googled for info and have taken real time workshops and have finally tried my hand at making kelp baskets! It is absolutely addictive and one of those processes where the irregularity of the materials sometimes lead me far away for any pre-project sketches.
My supply stash of kelp has been wiped out and here are my first kelp baskets.

...kelp after.
I need more basket making materials, happily my garden needs pruning and I'll be heading down to the beach to see what supplies I can find there!

1 comment:

I always love to get comments!