Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Wilderness Basketry Studio- Wild Thing Workshop

Jo Ann and George Hart- Wilderness Basketry- Seabeck Washington
I'm home again after a trip to Seabeck Washington to Wilderness Basketry for Jo Ann Hart's Wild Thing Cedar basket class. Jo is a wonderful teacher who has designed a basket that is a delight to make . When the  foundation levels have been woven it's a project with lots of opportunities for self expression.
Jo Ann's Wild Thing basket 
When I first walked into the sunshine flooded studio with its welcoming array of antique furniture , huge library, reams of cedar and wall shelves displaying dozens of baskets of all shapes and sizes I knew I was in for a memorable weekend. 
cedar!


The Workroom




Jo is a patient and observant teacher and lets her students work independently but keeps an eye out for little missteps along the way so everyone makes steady progress. I appreciated her patience with me when I managed to step in a container of water and created a cedar stained flood! 
As the weather was absolutely glorious we ate our lunches on the deck and admired George and Jo's beautiful garden which showcases the ways that basketry can add a beautiful flourish to a landscape.



Look up at the huge random weave ball in this arch.

I want to learn how to do this!!
a mega bean pole



I heartily recommend a class at Wilderness Basketry. Jo and George offer a warm welcome and you'll leave feeling that you've made good friends. 
Where's my basket you ask? By the end of class on Sunday I was at the fringe element of the project and had run out of time. I'll finish up today so stay tuned for the reveal!

THANKS JO AND  GEORGE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always love to get comments!